Thursday, December 17, 2009

If Julie AND Julia can do it, why can't I?

Image courtesy of Sulehka.com
"Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it."
Julia Child
Day in and day out, I frantically work with caterers, rental equipment companies, linen companies, invitation designers and so on and so on to create memorable events for our donors and their guests. The work can be fast paced, a bit crazy and always upbeat. There are times I focus on the perfection of the event a little too much..."Is the lighting too much?", "Should I have folded the napkins differently?", "Are these the right vases for the type of flower I chose?". It is so detail oriented that there are times I lose sight of the enjoyment of an event.
Having said that, I found myself scrolling through the titles at the Redbox on Monday evening. Being the foodie that I am, "Julie and Julia" was rented and inserted into my lap top as soon as I entered my humble abode. For two hours and five minutes, I was mesmerized by these two women's stories of trial and error in discovering a passion that they believed in and truly loved. While I am struggling with the same issues myself, this movie helped me decide on a few fundamental principles for my life from here on out.
1) Never stop looking for things that make you happy.
2) Stick with something you have a passion for no matter how many obstacles face you.
3) No matter where you are, an event (a Christmas party, a picnic, an impromptu game night) brings people together to enjoy good company, good food and good times. Everything else is secondary.
While I don't plan to have white linens and plastic forks at my next event, I will pay attention to the good times being had and ignore a few of the high strung questions that fly through my brain.
Keep it Sunny!
The next element inspiration board is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment