Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Getting to Know You...



At a young age, I formed an immense passion for certain Broadway musicals. Guys and Dolls, The King & I, The Sound of Music. I knew every lyric to every song to all of my favorites. I adored Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra in the movie adaptation of Guys and Dolls and really had no idea who they were! The music continued in my head day and night. I blame this on my great grandfather who played the mandolin. He would sit and record the Sound of Music on tapes for me to listen and learn the greatness of Rogers and Hammerstein.
My love for Broadway hasn't died. My new favorites include Avenue Q, Wicked, Spring Awakening and Mama Mia. Oh the wonders of taking yourself out of every day living and plopping yourself into a world of breaking into song and dance at any time of day. That is my kind of world.
So as I was driving in heavy traffic and knowing I would be late on a bright Monday morning to meet a local wedding planner, I found myself humming a childhood favorite, "Getting to Know You" from the King and I. I was so excited to get to know this phenomenal woman who decided to share with me some of her wise words about wedding and event planning. Sitting down with her humbled me beyond belief. After twenty five years of event planning, she has dealt with so many situations and so many people. I admire her. I received some fantastic knowledge about inspiration boards, difficulties in certain areas (photography, wedding cake and music) and the emotions that go into a wedding. This conversation made me realize how much more I have to learn in this industry, but also put a jump start in my passion for planning. Truly because it is one of "My Favorite Things".
Keep it Sunny!

1 comment:

  1. I now have "Getting to know you" in my head. I LOVE all those old songs and musicals too!

    ReplyDelete