Thursday, September 17, 2009

All That Ruffles




As a little girl, I went to a quaint, little ballet studio for dance lessons. One of my nearest and dearest friends will recall our first recital in our adorable white tutus with pink and light blue accents. It was all ruffles and all fun until we were onstage. During the performance, my ruffle adorned friend called out to her "mommy" and stood there while everyone else had flitted gingerly off stage. I still own the VHS to prove her embarrassment...I really should convert that to a DVD. Anyway, we both have come a long way from that ballet class, but I still adore our costumes and the fantastic ruffles that made me feel so pretty.

Pondering the beauty of volume and layers, I created my first inspiration board entitled "All That Ruffles". The main focus of this board is the camellia. Living in the South, this blossom looks angelic in contrast to our quite dull, snowless winters. I am drawn to very full, layered flowers like camellias and ranunculus. The bottom photo in the board is a picture of the Chanel Winter Wonderland Ball last year. They used ALL camellias and it looked spectacular. It's a wonder to me why people do not use this durable and gorgeous flora. Stay tuned for my camellia centerpieces this winter!

The ruffle effect has a romantic feel that can not be replaced. So my goal is to continue to incorporate ruffles not only into my events, but in my life. The dress above is made by an up and coming designer, Carol Hannah Whitfield. She graduated with me from the College of Charleston and it currently on Project Runway. Her designs are fun, flirty and some are even ruffled! That dress almost brings back my memories of my ballet performance...Thanks Carol Hannah!

Keep it Sunny!

No comments:

Post a Comment