Thursday, September 10, 2009

High School Hip



Back in the 9th grade, I went to an all girls private high school. We wore the mandatory uniform, but were left to our own devices to make our very drab plaid kilt and blue blazer (a bit more chic now then when I was 14) trendy and original. Of course, the accessories depended on the person. The "preppy" girls had Tiffany's bracelets and pearl earrings. The "goth" girls had dog collars and boots (when they could get away with it). The list of stereotypes goes on and on. I'm not quite sure where I fit in, but I do remember the one thing I coveted. I thought above all things the one item that would produce my coolness was a Kate Spade pencil case. With a rainbow of colors that kept every pencil, pen and lip gloss in place, I was just dying to have it. Of course, I never got my coveted designer pencil case. I mean really what 14 year old needs that, but one thing has not changed. I am completely inspired by Ms. Spade's fabulous use of color and perspective. I now sport some pretty sassy Spade eye glasses, but I think my favorite item Kate creates is invitations. How on earth could you not have a party with this invite.
Her overall style and color palette (see above: magenta, periwinkle and red) would be genius for a fun, flirty wedding, bridal shower or summer picnic. Ms. Spade - Thank you for inspiring me as a uniform ridden freshman and thank you for inspiring me now!
Keep it sunny!

1 comment:

  1. I typically borrowed a pencil from a friend to reduce the weight of things in my backpack.

    ReplyDelete